Berane is the centre of the municipality of the same name (population of 35,068) and one of the centres of Polimlje area, named after the Lim River, on which Berane is situated.During the medieval period the Montenegrin land of Berane was known as Budimlja. The Monastery Đurđevi Stupovi was built by the end of 12th century by Prvoslav, the son of Nemanja’s brother Tihomir. Many monasteries and churches tell the story on the rich holistic life of Serbs in this area. There were seven bishops and nine metropolitans. Literary and painting schools existed in this Monastery. Apart from Đurđevi Stupovi, the second most important monastery in this area was Sudikovo, which was destroyed and burned by the Turks in 1738.
Famous battles occurred from 1825, until 1862, but the most important one was Rudes battle on 7 April 1862, in which the Montenegrin rebels won. Berane was finally liberated from Turks in 1912.
From July 1949 to March 1992, Berane was known as Ivangrad as a tribute to Ivan Milutinović. In 1992, its original name was restored.